David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 24 January 2012

USS Farncombe in port....

I thought it would be a good idea to post some pictures of my finished US naval presence for our Pulp games. Its based on a cheap wire framed 'ornament' I bought last year while staying with Matt and Sarah.

I stripped it down to the wire frame hull and first coated it with sheets of green stuff. The superstructure and main deck gun are from Minimi's range of ships, the Tramp Steamer I think.


The crew are Pulp Miniatures of course and the harbour walls, jetty and detritus are from Ainsty.

The paint scheme for the ship I copied from pictures I took on a visit to USS Olympia in Philadelphia and the naval ensign I found on the net.
I have to paint the Marines, also by Pulp Miniatures, to complete the naval element in the games. Hopefully they'll be done later in the year. At present its more 1940 stuff and rebasing the ECW armies that's occupying what time I have...

3 comments:

  1. THAT, sir, is one darn sharp model! I've done some pulp gaming, but the gunboat beats my stuff cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous work - have a photo of the original model before its transformation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to say that I didn't take a picture of its original state. If its any help it was an open wire frame with a large brass funnel and metal awning held up by four corner rods, in the style of a C19th Lakeland Steamer I suppose.

    ReplyDelete