David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 17 March 2016

All Quiet...

...on the GHQ Front. No games here, or anywhere else for that matter, as real life once more confounds the best of our plans! Jon cried off at short notice today, so I was left with no game to blog. I do, however, have some things to show which have been slowly progressing through the painting process these last weeks. First up, so as to speak, are some limbers for the Wars of the French Revolution project. Firstly, French limbers and a caisson from Eureka; and, secondly, British limbers from Front Rank ~

















They both have sets of civilian drivers, which seems right for the early 1790's from what I've been able to learn. The Front Rank ones may be wrong, in that they are later limbers with C18th divers in tricorns, but they will do the job for me! They might also be pressed into service in my AWI games to save a bit of time and money! Heresy to some no doubt, but that's life here in GHQ! Next, and rather different I have to say, a greenhouse and a handcart from Warbases. They are both MDF kits of course, with an Artizan figure for scale ~














Finally, a bit of whimsy as I present JEB Bykleigh, a Dixon Miniatures ACW Rebel general with a head swap you may recognise ~
























I'm very out of practice when it comes to painting ACW figures now a days, as you can see from the figures. The mounted figure is Dixon's JEB Stuart with 'my' head replacing the original while the foot figure is the same company's RE Lee with a Empress SCW head swap. In the painting queue I've almost finished two large bases of Saxon Noble Warriors for my Late Roman games, together with a dismounted and armoured figure for Pompus Maximus; all from Foundry of course. Next up will be the Front Rank Napoleonic civilian sets I bought recently to 'dress' the background of the games. After those it will be the additional SYW figures I collected at WMMS on Sunday, from Foundry again. As ever they have been cleaned up and sprayed with a white acrylic undercoat and are blue tacked to their MDF bases ready to be processed in their turn. I've still got two Dixon Miniatures Rebel infantry units to paint sometime, as well as a Union cavalry regiment. Somehow they never seem to make it into the front of the queue...

9 comments:

  1. Good progress there Mr. B, the limbers have turned out rather nice and the cart and greenhouse too. Like the idea of the spectacled figure, not so sure about the chap on the horse though ;-) Funny you should mention the ACW units not getting to the front of the queue, I have quite a few figures like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Phil. I chose the angle of the ACW pic to accentuate the 'look' of the figure.

      Delete
  2. Very nice, love the limbers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil! Austrian ones later in the year I hope.

      Delete
  3. Cracking job on the limbers.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, I was quite pleased with them, especially the Eureka ones - once they were finished that is.

      Delete
  4. The greenhouse is spot on, then again it all is! Very nice work

    ReplyDelete