David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 26 April 2018

Just Champion!

I've been painting rather less of late, as I’ve mentioned before I know. I have though finished two more bases of figures for our Italian Wars project, another base of Gendarmes and a Champion base. The figures were part of the package of free stuff Tim Hall so kindly sent me. I soaked them for several days in a bath of Detol to remove the varnish and paint, then resprayed them with white Double Acrylic undercoat which I buy from our local Home & Motor Store. The flags are, as ever on this project, from Pete’s Flags and the bases from Warbases. The figures themselves are from Foundry, Essex and, I think, Hinchliffe but the codes on the bases were not clear to read so I may be wrong on the latter two. Anyway, enough waffle, here they are ~


I think the base of Gendarmes turned out better than I hoped once the figures were all painted up. Originally the Essex Champion was also on their base, but it just didn’t gel then as a unit, hence the decision to make him my army’s Champion. I’ve started on a base of Landsknecht pike now, with more of Tim’s generous free figures bulking it out. I hope to complete it before next Friday, but it will be close I think. I’ve finished four so far and have another sixteen to go!

12 comments:

  1. A fine set of fellows...
    I do like those flags...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete’s Flags, Top product and service.

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking gendarmes, your ploughing through these!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I am doing my best although the Landsknecht pike are a real challenge I’m finding.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Now just work up the rules we’ll need when you’ve got a minute.

      Delete
  4. Inspired job, beautiful champions...and flags!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A painting machine right enough. Must be nearly time for these guys to earn their pay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil has completed six bases I think now. He’ll have a decent time period now to crack on as I shall not be painting post hip replacement for a few weeks.

      Delete